Monday 2 July 2012

Tribal Inspired Sculptures (Clay & Mixed Media)

I recently just finished a big clay project with some year 9 and 10 students.  It was a project that I did at my previous school (which I posted an earlier blog post about here).  The students had been studying portraiture during the semester and for their final art work they had to model their face in clay and decorate it using tribal influences. 

The clay was moulded around newspaper bases and they are mostly hollow.  They were bisque fired then painted with acrylic and water colour paints.  Student were encouraged to find 'extras' to add to their clay pieces and some students really went full out!  I love that some of the studnets thought to use wigs and fake eyelashes for extra life-likeness!  To finish, the heads were mounted onto wooden backings, ready for hanging!

Hope you like them...





















No comments: