Sunday 5 June 2011

Mora Brothers & WOMAD Abu Dhabi

Last year my friend Emma invited me to the primary school that she works at, to see some art work that The Mora Brothers had been doing with students.  Emma had organised with WOMAD to host a week long art workshop with the students at Al Muna Primary school in Abu Dhabi.  The 2 brothers are from Cuba and are famous for their fabulous papier-maché sculptures. 
They had decided to make a huge scorpian for the WOMAD opening parade, and whilst the brothers made their own big scorpian in the school grounds, they also ran workshops to teach the students how to make mini scorpians! During the weekend festival the brothers were also giving mask making workshops for children.  I was very sad that I was a little too old to join in.
I love their work and I love papier-maché!
Here are some photos of the scorpians being made....




No comments: