Sunday 5 June 2011

Drawing Assessments

Over the last 2 weeks my year 7, 8 and 9 classes have participated in an end of year drawing assessment where they had 2 hours to complete a still life drawing.  Here are some examples of their work.  I think it's lovely to see the different drawing styles, and also I think that the students' characters are often translated into their drawings.  My favourites are always the 'wonky' ones.
(The shading looks particularly dark in these images)














This is one of the still life groups that they were drawing...



3 comments:

Adopted said...

Hi, Do you have an assessment criteria? I'm covering some lessons and my yr 8s have just done still life and I don't know how to assess them...

Adopted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pigeon gillian said...

Hi,
I didn't use an assessment criteria with this task. I cross marked with another teacher. We basically just laid out all the drawings and arranged them from best to not so best on the floor. We did this with different classes together, and even different year groups from memory. Marking drawings is an awful process in my opinion, and I am in constant turmoil about marking any form of creativity, however, the reality is that this is part of working in a school. It helps to ensure that you are very clear about what you are looking for in the drawings. These students were told explicitly that the task was a tonal observational task and they would be marked on these two things. An assessment rubric could be made based on recording of shapes and proportions and the use of a range of tone and level of detail. I would keep the assessment criteria quite open for you when marking. Hope this helps!

Gillian