Tuesday 24 May 2011

Jump Into Paintings with the Year 7s

I recently completed a 3 week project with my year 7 classes which I called ‘Jump Into Paintings’.  I got the idea whilst doing my teacher training year from our university lecturer.  I think it is a really fun way to get the students talking about famous art works, describing different formal elements and thinking about what might be happening in the paintings.
I began this project by telling them a story of how they end up locked inside an art gallery and they loved love the drama of it all!  Students were asked to imagine they had magically jumped into the paintings and they had to consider what they would be doing, what the atmosphere is like and the story behind the paintings.  We have a full Mac suite at our school (very lucky, I know) and students used Photoshop and digital photographs to create these fantastic images. 
As a homework piece I asked students to write a short written description or story to describe their journey into their painting.  They really enjoyed this project and some have told me that they have made more examples at home!




















No comments: