Saturday 28 May 2011

Collagraph Bird Prints

During my probationer year in Scotland, I did this collagraph technique with a class of 1st year students (year 7).  My friend Lisa had given me the idea after seeing some of her students’ work on display at an Art Teacher Fair in Perth.  Lisa graduated in printmaking and is also an art teacher, and I'm always looking to her for ideas!
The department at St Maurice's High School have a brilliant selection of stuffed birds, so I got the students to start off by making drawings of these birds, concentrating on patterns and textures, then as a development  we made these collagraphs. 
I went to B&Q (a hard ware shop in the UK) and helped myself to their free samples of fuzzy wallpaper.  It's the stuff that your granny would have in her house, I can’t remember the name of it, it’s soft and fluffy and comes in loads of different textures and patterns, and you can paint on the top of it.  Students collaged this wallpaper along with string, then rolled ink onto the surface and took a print using the printing press. 
I really like the results, and students loved this technique.





 On display in the classroom...


1 comment:

Silvia John said...

Perth art prints is one of the leading online store which has come forward to help those people who are struggling in learning canvas art, Painting and other things. They are cooperative and charge less money on the service.